Kamloops is a vibrant city of 100,000, at the northern extension of productive wine country in south central British Columbia. We sit in the middle of lakes, mountains, ski hills, and river systems. We enjoy biking, hiking, skiing, water sports, all right here in our backyard. Our community has an excellent educational system, organized sports, music and theatre. There are amenities not often found in smaller urban centres. University affiliations provide rejuvenation and an atmosphere to keep learning.
Hillside Centre (Interior Adult Psychiatric Centre) – Geriatric Psychiatrist (Full and/or Part-Time)
Hillside Centre (Interior Adult Psychiatric Centre) is a 47-bed acute tertiary mental health hospital located in Kamloops, British Columbia on the campus of Royal Inland Hospital (RIH).
It is a regional center that supports the tertiary mental health needs for the entire Interior Health Authority population. It provides inpatient services for both adult and older adult patients with complex mental health illnesses.
Unique opportunity to join an inter-professional team that is rare in the scope of practice given its regional mandate.
Role Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Provide comprehensive geriatric psychiatry assessments for older adults with significant complexity (i.e. interplay of disorders of the brain, other medical co-morbidity and the ‘geriatric giants’ including frailty)
• Assess and manage severe behavioural and psychological symptoms of major neurocognitive disorders. The team at Hillside is well versed in the use of PIECESTM, Gentle Persuasive Approach (GPA)TM, Music and MemoryTM , technology including smart TVs and a Montessori based interactive computer (ABBY).
• Utilize a palliative approach and work with family practitioners
• Advocacy skills supporting patients and families transitioning through different levels of care
• Act as a resource for referring psychiatrists/teams and support the transfer of care to partners on discharge
• Synthesize and apply a customized biopsychosocial framework, and translate into care recommendations and plans
• Understand rural and remote communities and care systems
• Advocate for patients supporting re-integration to their home communities
• Participate in general psychiatry call at RIH
• Strong psychopharmacologic skills with capacity to understand applicable research and novel therapeutics
• Understand the role of trauma, and integrate trauma informed practice into patient care
• Option to blend this position with acute care, community mental health, and/or long-term care facilities
• Opportunities for medical leadership positions
• Engagement in research and quality improvement projects
• Teaching opportunities for UBC medical students, FP residents, and psychiatry residents
If you are interested in this opportunity with an unprecedented geographic reach contact us.
For those interested, Leadership Development Opportunities are available with Interior Health’s NAVIG8 Program. The NAVIG8 Emerging Physician Leaders Program is a comprehensive leadership development program designed specifically for physicians to address the practical leadership knowledge, behaviours and skills that high potential, emerging medical leaders require to step into leadership roles early in their careers.
Apply today to live work and play where others only vacation! It's better here! Email CV to PhysicianRecruitment@interiorhealth.ca
** This job posting is for a position covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination order and selected applicant(s) must comply with the requirements of the order.
Eligible for Fellowship with the Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC)
Eligible for licensure with CPSBC.
Coverage with the Canadian Medical Protective Association is mandatory
Hours of work:
Full and/or Part-Time
On call requirements:
Estimated Gross Income
Relocation Assistance - 9,000 - $15,000 * Relocation Assistance is applicable for 1.0 FTE positions and is based on move location (with eligible receipts).
Part-time opportunities may be eligible for a pro-rated reimbursement, please discuss with your IH Medical Staff Recruiter
*Incentives are subject to change and current rates are confirmed at time of offer*