Glistening water below lush mountains, dotted with parks frame the Okanagan's largest and liveliest population centre; Kelowna. Okanagan Lake is the perfect place to sail, kayak, or relax on the beach. Rolling greens offer world class golfing, minutes away from spectacular hiking and biking trails. In the winter enjoy ski resorts and skating rinks right at your fingertips. Decorated with heritage buildings and modern architecture, Kelowna offers something for everyone with orchards, vineyards and all the amenities of a major centre. From restaurants, and shops, to art galleries, live music and theatre, this city has it all. Come and experience our four seasons playground and see why life is better here.
The Physician Lead, in partnership with the Rutland Health Centre UPCC Manager, works within a collaborative framework that includes:
• Executive Medical Directors
• Community Heath Service Administrator
• UPCC Manager
• IHA Medical Affairs
• Physician Recruitment
• Nurse Practitioners
• Nursing and Allied Health
• The Professional Practice Office
• Acute Health Service Administration
• Divisions of Family Practice
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Promotes a physician quality culture.
• Leads the development of professional standards, protocols and policies for appropriate medical care.
• With an emphasis on Team Based Care, the Physician Lead, in collaboration with IHA operations, will ensure that there is oversight of medical care, including the provision of appropriate health examinations and continuity of care as required.
• Participates in Quality initiatives and evaluation processes.
• Champions team-based care initiatives including participating in sessions led by team-based care facilitators.
• Promotes primary care services that improve access and quality of primary care for local residents, as well as reduce avoidable ED visits and acute care utilization.
• Participates / assists with process improvement initiatives (such as Lean or otherwise).
• Addresses issues of medical care and patient/client concern.
• Works with site Manager in a dyad leadership and with support from the Community Health Service Administrator.
• Participates with community leads/partners for problem solving sessions such as access.
• Creates a positive work environment and supports as needed along with the site Manager.
• Promotes priorities with aboriginal health where practical along with the site Manager.
• Represents the clinic in communication with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC (CPSBC).
B. Physician Resource Planning and Compensation
• Assists Physician Recruitment and Medical Affairs to recruit and retain physicians at the UPCC and develop appropriate physician contracts.
• Serves as the liaison with Medical Affairs.
• Oversees scheduling of physicians for an acceptable physician schedule, including participation in the development of an after-hours coverage system.
• Coordinates orientation to site including EMR and billing procedures with support from site Manager.
C. Supervision and Performance
• Serves as the UPCC site medical lead with an emphasis on team based care.
• Coordinates regular UPCC physician meetings with the site Manager.
• Attends meetings, providing the physician's perspective including but not limited to, clinic operational meetings, team development sessions, clinical educational opportunities, etc.
• Provides advice for the NP's and other clinical staff working at the site, as clinically needed.
• Assists in performance evaluation.
• Arranges or participate in the supervision of physicians on provisional licenses as required by the CPSBC.
• Participates in the resolution of concerns regarding physicians (i.e. performance or behavior) and liaises with the EMD as appropriate to ensure concerns are resolved.
• Provides mentorship and support for physicians and NP's working at the UPCC.
• Promotes and advocate for effective educational policies, goals and objectives and CME activities that contribute to the enhancement of physicians’ and NP skills in Primary Care.
Doctorate in Medicine
Certificant of College of Family Physicians of Canada (CCFP)
Current College of Physicians of BC (CPSBC) License
Canadian Medical Protective Association required
Hours of work:
On call requirements:
Estimated Gross Income
Rutland Health Centre UPPC :