Glistening water below lush mountains, dotted with parks frame the Okanagan's largest and liveliest population centre; Kelowna. Okanagan Lake is the perfect place to sail, kayak, or relax on the beach. Rolling greens offer world class golfing, minutes away from spectacular hiking and biking trails. In the winter enjoy ski resorts and skating rinks right at your fingertips. Decorated with heritage buildings and modern architecture, Kelowna offers something for everyone with orchards, vineyards and all the amenities of a major centre. From restaurants, and shops, to art galleries, live music and theatre, this city has it all. Come and experience our four seasons playground and see why life is better here.
Medical Leadership opportunity now available for a Perioperative Medical Director at Kelowna General Hospital (KGH) in the beautiful Okanagan!
Reporting to the KGH Chief of Staff, the Perioperative Medical Director is a physician administrator and leader who works to achieve a collaborative working relationship between physicians and administration based on the IH vision, mission and goals as they relate to the delivery of surgical services. This physician works with medical-staff colleagues and with nurse managers of the OR, surgical units and pre-surgical screening units to optimize access to safe, efficient, high-quality surgical services.
This position requires fixed (dedicated) and variable (flexible) time to meet specific deliverables based on the requirements for site surgical services.
As a physician and clinical expert, with the support of IH Senior Administration, obtains the necessary knowledge and training to contribute to the management of the surgical program in the hospital and engages physicians in understanding and helping to execute the management plan related to delivery of surgical services.
Actively contributes and participates in IH-wide leadership in all aspects of quality, patient safety, planning, operations, utilization management and evaluation of surgical services.
Provides consistent physician leadership aligned with the vision, mission, values, strategic goals and priorities of the Agency as they pertain to all surgical-service activities.
Reports through the site Chief of Staff to the Executive Medical Director Surgical Services on issues of quality and patient safety, and to the site Health Service Administrator on all operational issues. Is also accountable to the Executive Medical Director, Surgical Services for Interior Health to ensure alignment of planning and practice with provincial and IH-wide surgical and anesthesia goals and objectives.
Leads the surgical-services medical staff in implementing the IH Vision, Mission and Goals and the IH Surgical Strategy.
• Chairs the Perioperative Management Committee or co-chairs it with an administrative member of the management team.
• Participates in regional Perioperative Medical Director and OR Manager/Surgical Director meetings to ensure communication and alignment with operational priorities.
• Acts as key enabler of IH-wide surgical initiatives through site-specific communication and implementation.
• Mentors and coaches those physicians appointed to surgery-related committees.
• Actively participates and supports physician participation in accreditation and risk management initiatives.
• Communication and collaboration with department heads of anesthesia and surgery and site administration to ensure effective delivery of surgical services at the hospital.
Leads and participates in activities related to the monitoring and improvement of service delivery at the site level.
• Is an active member of the perioperative management team and participates in establishing performance targets, tracking progress and making continuous improvements against those targets.
• Regularly reviews and reports on performance indicators such as OR efficiency, access to services and quality improvement, and provides input and leadership to support implementation of system
• Understands, helps to implement, and regularly reviews key quality measures with site management and appropriate medical staff.
• Supports multidisciplinary action groups to address quality and performance issues. Participates in action planning and implementation of quality improvement activities. Where NSQIP initiatives exist, liaises with the NSQIP physician lead at the site and reviews NSQIP reports, ensures appropriate follow up and improvement initiatives for identified issues.
• Leads planning and developmental work on the Provincial and IH Surgical Strategies and priority initiatives.
• Liaises with medical staff and booking/scheduling offices to promote active waitlist management within surgical specialties and with individual specialists as required. Shares tools, resources and information available within IH and the province to support this.
• Attends local MAC meetings, as required, to communicate issues relating to surgical services at the site.
Supports Site Chief of Staff and Department Heads to ensure physician professionalism
• Models professional, respectful behaviour in the work place.
• Supports Department Heads and the OR Manager to ensure that applicable IH and Provincial policies pertaining to surgical services are communicated to, and followed by, all medical staff.
Recruitment and Physician Resource Planning
• Assists with the development, implementation and adherence to the medical staff resource plan, as it relates to surgical services, in conjunction with the Department Heads, and IH physician recruitment.
• Assists the Department Heads with medical staff planning and recruitment by working with Individual Specialty groups and the local MAC to develop and keep current a physician resource plan for surgical services at the site.
Additional Key Duties
• Identifies, mentors and develops upcoming physician leaders
• Supports UBCO, the Southern Medical Program and IH administration in delivering IH’s academic mandate at the site level.
*** To express interest and apply, please email your CV to email@example.com.
*** This job posting is for a position covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination order and selected applicant(s) must comply with the requirements of the order.
o Doctorate in Medicine
o Licensed as a physician in British Columbia.
o Appointed as an active or provisionally active member of the Medical Staff of Interior Health.
o Medical leadership experience with training in physician leadership or demonstrated willingness to undergo training in the near future.
Hours of work:
0.24 FTE, approximately 9 hours per week; term up to three years
On call requirements:
Estimated Gross Income
Competitive; will be based on medical leadership experience
Kelowna General Hospital:
Kelowna General Hospital (KGH) is one of two tertiary hospitals within Interior Health and is the region’s main referral centre offering a full range of services with approximately 400 beds and over 84,000 ED visits yearly. Kelowna General Hospital is home to the Interior Heart & Surgical Centre (IHSC) which opened in 2015 and is BC’s only cardiac critical care centre outside of Victoria and the Lower Mainland. IHSC is Kelowna General Hospital’s principal surgical site and features 12 specialized Operating Rooms created for Thoracic, Urology, Neurosurgery, Vascular, Plastics, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Ears Nose and Throat, Orthopedics, General and Trauma surgeries with 2 ORs dedicated to Cardiac Surgery. Our state of the art Centennial Building boasts a total of 360,000 square feet, an expanded emergency and ambulatory care department, new medical inpatient units, modern operating rooms and a rooftop helipad. Within the Interior Heart & Surgical Centre, KGH has a modern maternity ward and adjacent Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. KGH has a dedicated pediatric ward, as well as, adolescent and adult psychiatry units. Enhanced laboratory and clinical departments are found in the new Dr. Walter Anderson Building. KGH is also a teaching centre for the Southern Medical Program affiliated with UBC, and has an academic campus that serves as a satellite for the University of British Columbia Medical School. KGH has become one of BC’s leading healthcare centres.