Kamloops is a vibrant city of 100,000, at the northern extension of productive wine country in south central British Columbia. We sit in the middle of lakes, mountains, ski hills, and river systems. We enjoy biking, hiking, skiing, water sports, all right here in our backyard. Our community has an excellent educational system, organized sports, music and theatre. There are amenities not often found in smaller urban centres. University affiliations provide rejuvenation and an atmosphere to keep learning.
Hospitalists play a core role in Royal Inland Hospital (RIH) by providing MRP and consultative care for inpatients. The patient case load is diverse, and the work is rewarding for this reason. Of note, hospitalists do not provide MRP coverage for obstetrical or pediatric patients.
On-site hours are generally 0800-1800 with an average of 18-22 inpatients per day. There is one overnight call and one late shift per week. Scheduling is generally seven days on, seven days off for full time employment. Emergency physicians will admit patients overnight and the majority of calls are managed from home via telephone and remote computer access; it is rare to have to come in. The site serves a catchment of approximately 250,000.
• Positions available: locum, part-time (1 in 4 weeks), full-time (1 in 2 weeks)
• Hours: 7 day blocks, 0800-1800 for 6 days, one 12 hour late shift until midnight, and one overnight home call
• Overnight call: MoCAP level 2 from midnight-0800 once during 7-day block
** This job posting is for a position covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination order and selected applicant(s) must comply with the requirements of the order.
Hospitalist work experience is valued, but not required.
Apply today to live work and play where others only vacation! It's better here! Email CV to PhysicianRecruitment@interiorhealth.ca
• Certificant of College of Family Physicians of Canada (CCFP) OR Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC)
• Doctorate in Medicine
• Eligible for licensure with CPSBC; Coverage with the Canadian Medical Protective Association is mandatory ****Certain specialists who are not eligible for full or provisional licensure in BC may be eligible to apply for licensure in the USA certified class **** Could be eligible for USA certification
Hours of work:
Full or Part Time
On call requirements:
One 12 hour late shift until midnight (in house until 2300) and one night home call (midnight to 0800) per every 14 days for 1.0 FTE
Estimated Gross Income
$292,629 annual for full-time (1680 hours) on BC hourly rate of $174.18, plus MOCAP level 2 & PMA premier hours incentives as indicated below.
• Physician Master Agreement – Premiere Hours: $25/h for onsite hours 1800-2300, $25/hr for onsite hours 0800-2300 on weekends/holidays, and $35/h for onsite hours 2300-0800
Royal Inland Hospital:
The Royal Inland Hospital (RIH) is a 273-bed facility that serves as the referral centre for approximately 250,000 people, and is located in the Thompson Cariboo Shuswap Health Service Area. As one of two Interior Health tertiary referral hospitals and Level 1 Trauma Centres, RIH receives over 250 major trauma and 72,000 ED visits per year.
The Phil and Jennie Gaglardi Tower opened at RIH in the summer of 2022. Among other services, the tower includes child and adolescent mental-health and substance-use inpatient unit as well as a 30 bed general psychiatric unit (20 general and 10 high observation beds and 3 seclusion beds).